Based on your requests, here is my first blog entry based on your comments! I’ll go through all the foundations I’ve tried and try to find some pictures of myself over the years to show you how they looked 🙂
I’ll get started with Mac. I’ve tried almost all the foundations they’ve had, but I won’t include the ones that have now been discontinued.
Now, I don’t use any of these anymore. I am currently using Estee Lauder Double Wear, which is think is the best foundation on the market with tons of color variety and an amazing finish and buildable coverage. However, I used some of these for years so they are definitely good too!
1) Mac Studio Fix
- Price $32 CAD
- Finish: Matte
- Coverage: Full
- So I used to swear by this foundation, which looking back, I really don’t understand because my skin really wasn’t very bad at the time.
- Many people consider this makeup to be heavy like stage makeup, which is definitely the case. It doesn’t necessarily need to be if you are careful with the application but it gets very full and heavy FAST. When I was using this, I was applying it with a flat foundation brush, which probably wasn’t the best decision for a foundation which is already heavy, and eventually switched to a stippling brush which helped to blend it better. While in pictures, I looked like a porcelain doll, it probably is a bit much for everyday use.
- The one absolutely amazing thing about this makeup is color variety. I am (obviously) very pale and there is a such a huge variety in the warm and cool shades. The trouble is if you are a neutral shade or have darker skin. There is much less variety then.
- Here is a picture of me then (I was sending angry pictures to Jonathan because I was waiting for him in the car 😛 but this is the best one I can find to show you the makeup). You can see how it matches my neck perfectly but its a bit cakey because of how heavy it is.
2) Mac Mineralize Moisture SPF 15 Foundation
- Price: $44 CAD
- Finish: Dewey
- Coverage: Light to Medium
- This has to be Mac’s most comfortable foundation. While there have far fewer color choices that the studio fix would, if you can find you color and don’t need a huge amount of coverage, this might be the right one for you.
- It feels like a tinted moisturizer but with more coverage than that (for a true tinted moisturizer, try Face and Body). It gives a light dewey look which looks natural in person but makes you look shiny in pictures. If I need to take any pictures, I put their blot powder on top of the foundation which doesn’t change the look or it at all. I found that this one didn’t have a light enough color for me so I could only use it in the summer IF I get a bit darker.
- Here is a picture of me wearing it. I put blot powder on top because I didn’t like the dewey look, but I loved how light and comfortable the foundation was so I went with it.
3) Mac Matchmaster
- Price: $44 CAD
- Finish: Matte
- Coverage: Medium
- I used this one for years until I realized it was marginally off in color and I needed to change. (I think it was a bit too yellow on me) The concept with Matchmaster is that fewer colors in this product will match more people’s skin tones, but honestly, I think it has its limits and you need to see the product in the sunlight to really know if it works on you. They will try it on you in the store and it will look great and it might be a bit off when you go outside. Good thing mac has a great return and exchange policy!
- The finish is really nice. Its heavy enough to make your skin look flawless without the heavy cakey look that studio fix can quickly get it. This is one that you can apply in any way you choose and goes on really nicely. You can every put this on with your fingers as long as you pay close attention to blending the edges and amounts around the eyes.
- Here are a few pictures of me wearing it over the years:
4) Mac Face and Body
- Price: $40 CAD
- Finish: Natural
- Coverage: Very Light
- Sorry no pictures of this one because I only got samples and never purchased the product. Not enough coverage for me, didn’t look like I was wearing any foundation at all, and not in a good way!